Located 55 miles from Patna in Bihar of India, Nalanda was the largest residential centre of learning in the world with a nine-storeyed library. The monasteries were built in old Kushan architectural style, in a row of cells around a courtyard. It was the Buddhist centre of learning from 427 to 1197 CE partly under the Pala Empire.
It is believed that Buddha visited Nalanda during his last tour through Magadha, and it was there that Sariputta, one of two chief male disciples of Buddha uttered his lion's roar, affirming his faith in the Buddha. Nalanda University was established in 450 CE under the patronage of the Gupta emperors, notably Kumara Gupta. It was destroyed in 1197 CE by the invading Turkish army of Bakhtiyar Khilji who set it on fire. The fire in the huge library is believed to have raged for several days.
On Sept. 1, 2014, the ancient Nalanda University re-started its academic session with 12 students and six faculty members at its newly-established campus at Rajgir. An eight-kilometre boundary wall marks the 446-acre campus where the modern centre of excellence is to come up. China has already committed $1 million for the project while Singapore has pledged $5-6 million and Australia about AUD 1 million. All the funds have been committed on a voluntary basis.
Link 1 (Wikipedia)
Link 2 (rediff.com)
Link 3 (nalandauniv.edu.in)